Saturday, January 7, 2012

Base Camp-Day 3

I know that diet & exercise go hand in hand & that is really the best way to achieve the healthiest "you." But I saw this today & found it interesting....

Nutrition accounts for  
 80% 
of weight loss 
and exercise accounts for  
20%

I would've thought it was more like a 50/50 split. So much for my "well, I exercised today, so I pretty much deserve that brownie" attitude that ends up making me wonder why nothing's changing.

Today is Day 3. Hello, hello. Are you ready for it? I got 8 hours of sleep last night people. Mmmmm, Saturday mornings. Here are the results of my weigh in this morning:
Weight: 136.2 lbs.
Hydration Level: 60.8%
Body Fat: 19.5%

SO motivating for me to track it & see results!!!! The most important thing, to me, is how I feel in my clothes, not so much my weight. But that body fat percentage is pretty dang important to watch too.

I have looked at all the charts and tried to set my goals off of them in a healthy way. I look for my ideal weight/body fat percentage based on my height, body frame, & age. But every time I've done that in the past, it has shown me passing with flying colors, sometimes even pushing the underweight side of things. And I look at my hips & butt and say, "That can't be right."

But TODAY I think I finally figured out why, oh WHY.  Hallelujah!

I'm gonna get right down to it, I am an A cup on a good day. Like when I'm pregnant or nursing. I looked up the average breast size and found it to be B.  AA cupped women roll in at 2%.

Q. Now, why do women have more fat than men?
A. For babies & because they've got boobs.

And since I don't really, it would make sense that when my average sized boobs (accounted for on an ideal weight/body fat chart) are misplaced and instead are on my butt, that the charts are telling me I'm right where I should be, when the mirror & my pants say,"um,....no." Hope you followed that crazy train of thought. I'm no expert but it makes sense to me in that light. Maybe they should start accounting for breast size on those charts? Maybe I'll write a letter to someone important about it...
Clay refuses to discuss it with me for fear of sleeping on the couch. Haha! What a breakthrough to figure that out though! It makes me so happy and gives me some direction.


Breakfast
  • 2 fried eggs (no butter, just cooking spray on the pan) with pepper
  • sliced avocado
  • 1 banana
  • Probiotic mix (Clay tried to convince me it tastes like orange candy???? Maybe it's in my head how nasty it is b/c of the chunks. Still regarding it as nothing less than vile, myself.)
 Snacks 
  • whey protein mixed with water
  • grapefruit


 Lunch
  • Leftover salmon on crackers (Clay found some that we can have called Mary's Gone Crackers-we like the Black Pepper variety the best)
  • Veggie tray with homemade hummus (the greek pita bread was for the kids)

Hummus Recipe: (Courtesy of my friend Mindy who grew up with it as a staple in her house, they used it instead of mayo. How's that for a healthy alternative?)

2 cans plus 3/4 can of garbanzo beans- 15oz. (drain and reserve liquid, no need to rinse beans.)
3 cloves garlic
1/4 c plus 1/8 c (turns out to be a little under a 1/3 cup)Tahini (sesame paste) I buy my tahini paste at the Sunflower Market across the street from the Fashion Place Mall, it comes in an aluminum can, brand name "Joyva" (it's in a brown, orange and white can-creamy puree of roasted sesame seeds.) You can buy Tahini anywhere in grocery stores and any brand but I've always used this brand, I like the consistency of it and it's easier to work with compared to other brands. Make sure you stir the tahini first to get the oil mixed in before you measure.
1/4 c plus 1/8 c fresh or bottle lemon juice (turns out to be a little under a 1/3 cup).
1 t. Salt
1 t. Cayanne Pepper or as spicy as you want it.
1 t. Cumin or as much as you wish

Combine everything together in food processor. Add juice from beans a little at a time as you blend to achieve desired consistency. I like my hummus really smooth (not thick) so I blend it for about 5minutes sometimes longer and keep adding liquid from the beans as I go while it's blending. I don't use all of the liquid just enough to make it smooth and not thick.

Pour hummus into a long shallow dish and sprinkle paprika on the top, then drizzle olive oil over the top to finish it off. Garnish the sides/edges with curly parsley. Serve at room temp.

Serve with Greek pita bread cut in wedges, red bell pepper strips, feta cheese, Mediterranean olives, whole green onions, blanched green beans, bell peppers, cucumbers, or anything you want.



Dinner (I'm insistent that we all sit down to the same meal except for anyone still eating baby food)
  • Southwestern Chicken Salad (romaine lettuce, shredded chicken, 1/2 onion sliced and sauteed with a handful of red pepper slices, black beans, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp red cayenne pepper, a squrt of lime juice, a pinch of cilantro, avocado, and some pico de gallo. Voila!)




    Total water for the day: 7 glasses. I now LIVE in the bathroom, I swear.

    As far as the Base Camp 12 days are concerned, Clay misses the yogurt & bread the most. I miss the bread & the cottage cheese. I just want cottage cheese on my green salad to make it more wet is all. And bread really just makes meals easier. A tortilla to put chicken & veggies in, a bun to throw a turkey burger on, etc.

    Surprisingly, I'm not missing sugar or cheese. And I la-la-love cheese. When you're not having any refined sugars, it catches you off guard just how sweet & delicious unaltered natural fruit is. So I haven't been craving sugar at all.

    Exercise:
    10 min jog, push-ups (I was so sore I could barely do the first one, but I made it through all 36), lunges, & crunches. I forgot to explain that we only exercise every other day. Seriously so minimal. It's a perfect program for getting started or back into a routine after a long break.

    Three things I'm grateful for today:
    • It snowed!!!
    • The gym is a 3 minute walk from my house.
    • Brooklyn is catching on more & more with reading! I'm so proud of her for her hard work, good attitude, & determination!


    1 comment:

    Aubrey said...

    Wow, you are doing awesome!! Seriously your food looks so appetizing and professional. I so wish that excersise was 90 % of loosing weight. Eating is my trouble.