Thursday, January 12, 2012

Base Camp-Day 8

Today's Q&A:

Q. Which probiotic/cleansing vitamins are you using? There are so many different kinds, I think I'd rather get an actual recommendation...not base my decision on web reviews.

A. These are what Clay & I have been using, from GNC. One box per person. They have a diet as well listed on the instructions inside which is very similar to the Base Camp food list. It is only a 7 day course.


I'll be straight up, Day 8 was hard for me.

Weigh in results:
Weight: 135.6 lbs.
Hydration level: 61%
Body Fat Percentage: 19.5%

So, a good range. But I was disappointed. And typically when I'm disappointed or having a bum moment for whatever reason, I find comfort in food. If I'm having a rough day with the kids, I run crying to the Peanut M&M's. I wanted the scale to tell me something amazing. I wanted my body in the shower to look suddenly different. But it didn't. I wanted results RIGHT NOW. And then I had breakfast, and changed my attitude. Muscle weighs more than fat. So, maybe my exercise started doing a tiny something? Hmmm...that's never bad.

I went to the store on Day 8 and wanted to buy cheeeeeeese and peanut m&m's really bad. But I bought stuff for a kickin' salad instead and have never had a better salad IN MY LIFE without dressing on it. Didn't even miss it. Yes, it would be greatly improved on with a generous helping of homemade ranch (I'm a ranch snob-it must be homemade), but I truly didn't miss it. Details below.

And I confess, Day 8 was probably hard because I did what I told you not to do. I've been "piecing" rather than making substantial food. So when you're running out of food and you're developing go-to fixes, that's where we run into boredom & problems. People! Why can't I just listen to my own blasted self!!!??

I did not mess up. Nothing is worth starting over. I looked at some Little Debbie Swiss Rolls (those aren't even good, right?!) and thought about my options, in my kitchen alone, no one knowing....
IF I were going to deviate from my plan (Let's get something clear right now-I don't like calling it "being bad." It's not BAD for heaven's sake! It's food.) it had better not be on a swiss roll. That's not even real chocolate!!! THINK IT THROUGH!!! Ridiculous that it even crossed my mind, in retrospect.

Here's the thing. On this Strength for Life plan you have "free days" where you are free & encouraged to eat whatever you want and however much you want of it.  I am purposely not telling you about it in detail because I want you to read the book if you actually decide to do this. Your commitment level and understanding of certain concepts will make a huge difference compared to if you were to try going by bits & pieces of what I say.

And if I were to go off plan, it would be like spoiling Christmas for myself by peeking at presents. It's never the same when you do it that way, is it? So instead, I'm going to make some serious plans for celebrating my free day. :)

Accomplishments
  • turning my back on a swiss roll
  • made peanut butter & honey sandwiches for the kids without "getting in" on the action

Breakfast
  • oatmeal with vanilla, cinnamon, & raisins
Lunch
  • rice & seed crackers with hummus
  • banana


Dinner
  • loaded green salad (romaine lettuce, boiled egg, black olives, shredded chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, & avocados)
  • I was all set & ready to have this creamy butternut squash soup too, but it got checked over by Clay & vetoed for containing evaporated cane juice-SO upsetting. The kids loved the stuff. Maybe we can have it when we reach the regular part of the program? I'll let you know. Believe me, I won't forget about it.
Water
  • 7 glasses
How I feel
  • more energy, good sleep, full for the most part.

Three things I'm grateful for today
  • my mittens I wear when driving my car
  • the warmth & privacy we're getting from our new shutters
  • baby giggles

    No comments: