Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Before Photos

Lest you think I have forgotten entirely about this and fallen off the wagon, let me assure you....

Hi, Ho, Silver!! I am on it!!!


We completed the Base Camp portion of the plan and now we're on to the Transformation phase. (cue spanish trumpets) This is 12 weeks long. I have decided to weigh myself & take measurements on the 6th day of each week before we take our free day. So, I'll be back at the end of this week to do so.

My husband agreed to take Before & After pictures for me as long as I promised, cross-my-heart-hope-to-die style, not to post them on here. He thought it would be weird. It is actually something I've debated with myself over for the past week or so. Mainly I wanted to make a point. So I'm going to do that without pictures of me. Hmmm.... So I'm going to get wordsy instead.

SPOILER ALERT!!! 


You know those weight loss commercials that come on TV or pop out at you in a magazine? Typically you will see the "before" looking somewhat like this:

The woman stands like a slug.  If a slug could stand. Or they sit and let their body fold into itself. They face the camera straight on with their entire body. Their hair looks unkept. Their skin, typically pasty and unattended to. Rather than looking the best that can at that stage, they instead seem to try to look their worst. Complete with a grumpy expression.

Compare this to the "after" photo:

The person stands up straight, shoulders back, waist turned, hands strategically placed to emphasize waist and to thin legs. One leg placed forward to visually condense leg width. Body weight is placed on back leg, allowing the hips to drop which lengthens the torso and draws the navel inward.

 Either the head or shoulders are angled toward the camera, reducing excess skin around neck/jawline and making the shoulder breadth appear smaller. They've got a tan, a smile on their face, and their hair/make-up is done.

Granted-they probably FEEL better.

What can be learned from this?

When a quick fix diet pill/plan looks tempting & too good to be true with a woman like this front & center, take note. You can visually drop about 10 lbs. depending on how you stand in front of a camera. And I think we all know that tan fat looks better than white fat.

That's a helpful tip to you if you're having family pictures done also. Stand like the reformed woman even if you feel much less than reformed. You will look better no matter what, compared to standing like a slug, facing straight-on to the camera.

I suggest you make yourself look the best you possibly can (hair, make-up, body, EVERYTHING!!!) and then pick a way to stand (& smile). Either stand like a slug or stand like a body builder. Just be sure to do the same thing in both your before shot & your after shot. The results may not be as dramatic, but they will be truthful. And that's kind of the point, right?

Or maybe stand both ways? Just my thoughts. :)

Anyway, I read more in the book and he (Shawn Pillips) suggests taking photos each week so that you can watch yourself morph. Pretty cool? Yes.

Best thing I read in the book recently:

Progress made is progress measured.

Take note DAILY of your accomplishments. Even if it is  .1% reduced body fat. YAY!! Celebrate it!





Monday's Weigh in (the morning after my "free weekend")
Hydration: 50.9%
Body fat: 20.5%
Weight: 140.6 lbs.


Wowza! Right back up. SO READY to attack this week like I mean it!!!

2 comments:

Cheri said...

I laughed all the way through this. You were in a very happy mood when you typed it. "Hi ho Silver" "Spanish trumpets." I can hear it all exactly in your voice and thoroughly enjoyed it!

You are doing awesome. Mind if I refer to you as "Sugar Beast Master" from now on?

Lindsay said...

Haha! YES you may! I hope Base Camp is going well for you!!!