Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Base Camp-Day 7

So I have a couple of questions to answer today....

Q. How do you know your hydration level?

A. We bought a scale that gives you your weight, body fat, & hydration level. You program in your height & age. I believe Clay found it at Costco or Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Q. Would you share how you do your oatmeal? I love it raw in things...but have never loved cooked. Yours looks delish!

A. I toss 2/3 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats in a saucepan with 2 cups of water.
Add 1 tsp. good vanilla extract. Throw in a handful of organic raisins. Shake the cinnamon a couple times. Bring to boil. (Sorry-I'm not great at recipes, I eyeball things a lot instead.) When it reaches a boiling point, stir, then turn it down to simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally, till it's creamy. (serves two)

 The recipes I put on here aren't particularly delicious. To be honest, some are just downright bland.  
The oatmeal would be 5,000 times better with a generous spoonful of brown sugar 
and can I just tell you that I hated the steamed broccoli the other night without salt?  
I'm putting them on here because I invariably get emergency phone calls from people giving this plan a whirl, desperate for ideas of what to eat.

Today's weigh in results

Weight:136.4 lbs.
Hydration Level: 60.4%
Body Fat:19.5%

Do you see how things took a dip? How everything seemed to head the wrong direction? Well, as much as we'd all like to see the numbers tick away on a descending scale until they disappear into an oblivion, that's just not how it's going to roll. So, instead of bawling your eyes out or giving up all together and sitting down to a breakfast of cookie dough, just KEEP GOING!!!
Typically there are reasons for it. My cold probably has something (not sure what) to do with it. I'm also FEMALE (I'll let you figure that out on your own). Sorry. And as I've said the past couple of days, I haven't been very hungry. Did you know that when you don't eat, your body kind of freaks out a bit and holds onto stuff, unsure of when it will be fed again? True story. So maybe that. Whatever it is, I'm really not all that concerned. My pants are easier to get on now without a whole jumping & sucking in routine. That's awesome, yes?

And today marks a week, so I did measurements as well...

right bicep (flexed):11.5 in. (lost 1/2 in.)
chest: 33.5 in. (same)
waist:28.5 in. (lost 1/4 in.)
hips:39.25 in. (lost 1/2 in.)
thigh:22.5 in. (lost 1/4 in.)
calf: 14.75 in. (same)

Accomplishments
  • I WON an intense stare down contest between me & an open bag of fruit snacks. I told you I'm not craving sweets, but if they're right there, it's kind of hard not to want them.
Breakfast
  • grapefruit
  • probiotic blend (last day of that- can I get a HALLELUJAH?!?!?!)
Snacks
  • rice/seed crackers with hummus
Lunch
  • Leftover chicken with brown rice
Dinner
  • Fettucine with homemade marinara (recipe below), added browned ground turkey to that
  • grilled zucchini (yummy)
  • fresh spinach salad w/ tomatoes & avocados
Exercise I rode a stationary bike for two miles in 10 minutes while flipping through Traditional Home. Then I did my push-ups, squats, & crunches.

Water 7 glasses

3 things I'm grateful for today
  • so grateful to be feeling better!!!!
  • my mom helping me out
  • Brayden took decent naps

Recipe for basic pasta sauce:


3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. chopped garlic or 1 clove

2 14.5 oz. cans organic tomatoes, drained. (If you can find italian style, get those. Make sure there's no sugar/syrups listed in the ingredients)
1 tsp. dried oregano

1 or 2 fresh tomatoes, with the juicy part removed
4-6 leaves fresh basil, roughly chopped
pepper to taste
a hint of salt


Directions: place tomatoes (canned & fresh) in blender with salt, pepper & oregano, blend till smooth.
Heat olive oil in large skillet over med heat. Add garlic and cook 1 min. Add tomato sauce and cook/stir until olive oil is incorporated into the tomatoes. Add basil and remove from heat.








-That's an incredibly basic healthy sauce & you can work your magic from there. Add 1/2 a chopped onion in with the garlic. Throw in mushrooms, browned meat, vegetables, etc. Go wild! :)

    3 comments:

    Marti said...

    Just loving you to pieces. Thanks for the q & a! Loving your recipes, journey and way of living! I think I need to come stay with you for 2 weeks and join the Lindsay's Bootcamp for tired Mommas! :)

    Camille said...

    Which probiotic/cleansing vitamins are you using? There are so many different kinds, I think I'd rather get an actual recommendation...not base my decision on web reviews. :)

    Food looks delicious!

    Oh, and if you start a bootcamp, I'm totally there.

    Lindsay said...

    Tempting tempting just to be able to squeak in some time with you two! Love you both!