Thursday, January 26, 2012

transformation-day 4

For the past three days my weigh in has remained the same.

Weight: 137.2 lbs
Body Fat: 19.7%
Hydration: 60.7%

My HIIT running (see Strength For Life book) went well on Tuesday. My peak was level 7. I felt like I pushed myself as hard as I needed to. I also worked my abs into a frenzy.  Yesterday I paid a lot of attention to proper form while I did the weight training. That is SO important to pay attention to.

#1 Getting injured is not in your best interest and
#2 If you're taking the time to do it, make sure you're doing it RIGHT so that you are able to experience the benefits.


SIDENOTE: I always struggle with the idea of correcting girls/women at the gym. SO many times I see a girl come in and kind of meander about, or glance at a paper with a plan on it, etc. and really not have a clue about how to do what she's supposed to. They're intimidated by grunting, dumbbell dropping, and frankly sometimes pushy & entitled males, & overwhelmed. Or there's a middle aged woman who shows up and thinks she's doing something great for her body when really she's not doing much at all but upping her chances for injury by about 75%. The sad thing is I hate for them not to be able to reach their goals because they were intimidated and lacked knowledge about the weight room. And I have never in the past found the nerve to say, "Try it like this."

But yesterday I became that person. Try not to hate me. I was totally well-meaning. I was doing lunges and watching a pair of middle-aged women kneel on a bench and swing around dumbbells while giggling with each other. It was an attempt to do kickbacks. I was quiet for awhile, debating within myself. Then I pulled my earphone out of my ear and said, "Do you mind if I help you out?" They laughed and then I showed them the proper way to do a kickback, keeping the elbow tucked in and stationary, pausing for a moment at each endpoint, & NOT using momentum. They were appreciative and I'm really really glad for that, because I did want to help. Do I think they were stupid? Definitely not! Everyone has had to learn at some point. Even turbo in the corner watching his pecs bounce in the mirror.

It was legs yesterday and I could barely walk down the stairs or home afterwards. The thing about working out your legs like that is it zaps your energy and you want to take a 5 hour nap as soon as you're done. The great news-those big muscles you work out do a serious number on burning fat the more you build them. I keep reminding myself of that.

And today the only thing that kept me away from a delicious looking nutty chocolate caramel thing was the price. I almost lost it! Oh-so help me!!!  Yesterday and today I have been craving sweets like some sort of sweet tooth beast. But....I prevailed.

(I better get a chest bump for that next time I see any of you.)

I also believe this makes the honorable mention list:

My son had a pack meeting this week. All the parents were asked to bring a batch of treats. Rice Krispy Treats came to mind. And then I thought about how difficult it was actually going to be to make those ooey gooey little delights without eating any myself. We went to the store and I asked what he thought of bringing something healthy, like strawberries. He said, "Oh yeah! I don't really want to get sick from a bunch of sugar. It gives me a stomachache." Problem solved. We told Clay our plan at dinner and he mentioned that a boy might get beat up for bringing that as a treat. But we did it anyway.  We brought an overflowing bowl of freshly-washed strawberries. And I admit I didn't feel like Supermom or a domestic goddess at that moment, so I made Brooklyn carry them in and quietly slip them on the table littered with cupcakes and brownies and more cupcakes and cookies. I didn't eat anything. At the very end, I walked up to retrieve my bowl and it was down to 2 strawberries. There were tons of sugary options leftover for people to take home and consume themselves. Turns out people appreciative a healthy alternative. 
Whaddayaknow?!

2 comments:

Marti said...

I love you and that you helped those ladies out. Nothing worse than watching a girl try to do a squat that looks like a there is a yard stick down the back of her shirt and tucking her tailbone in...its like stick out what yo momma gave you and get low!!! Wish we could workout together and laugh through the whole thing. Wouldnt the world be better if you had a sweaty, saddlebag flaunting, gal pal to workout with??!! Keep it up girl!! You're a rockstar!!!!

Lindsay said...

Haha! Thank you Marti! I think the saddle bagged giggling girl would be ME!! I would love to work out with you! That would be so fun. :) Love you!